Sweet Cream Cheese and Blueberry French Toast Casserole
Oh my gosh, this french toast recipe is so delicious! You seriously have to try it! Even my daughter who claims to hate both cream cheese and blueberries devoured it!
This french toast casserole is super creamy and flavorful! Almost like having dessert for breakfast. Sweet, but not too sweet. The casserole gets thrown together in the evening and sits in the fridge overnight so the bread can absorb all the eggy goodness. Then, in the morning, just pop it in the oven. It’s perfect for overnight guests or a holiday breakfast.
Since the bread soaks in the egg mixture overnight it’s key to use a nice firm bread like french bread. Although any firm bread would work. I’ve actually used left over hoagie rolls and it turned out great.
It’s also best to get your bread a little ahead of time so it can be slightly stale. But don’t worry, if you only have a loaf of fresh bread – just cut it into cubes, put it on a cookie sheet and stick it in a 250° oven for a few minutes until it’s slightly dry but not toasted.
Sweet Cream Cheese Blueberry French Toast Casserole Recipe
1 loaf of french or other firm bread cut into 1 to 1 ½ inch cubes.
1 pint fresh blueberries
8 large eggs
2 ¼ cups half & half
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup butter, melted (1 stick)
Sweet Cream Cheese
1 8oz package cream cheese
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Place ½ of the cubed bread in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In a bowl, cream together all ingredients for sweet cream cheese.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of the sweet cream cheese evenly on top of the bread.
- Spread the blueberries evenly on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Top with remaining bread
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, maple syrup, vanilla and sugar for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl melt 1 stick of butter (½ cup) in microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Add the butter to the egg mixture and whisk for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the top of the pan making sure to wet all of the bread.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with cinnamon.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bake covered at 350 F for approximately 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!